1. WCTRS CALL FOR PAPERS 2023
Authors are invited to submit one or more full papers to the following topic areas:
- Topic Area A: Transport Modes – General
- Topic Area B: Freight Transport and Logistics
- Topic Area C: Traffic Management, Operations and Control
- Topic Area D: Activity and Transport Demand
- Topic Area E: Transport Economics and Finance
- Topic Area F: Transport, Land-use and Sustainability
- Topic Area G: Transport Planning and Policy
- Topic Area H: Transport in Developing and Emerging Countries
- Topic Area I: Infrastructure Design and Maintenance
We offer a peer review of each paper to assess its potential for presentation, publication and the award of a prize. As with previous conferences, selected papers will be published in proceedings. In close cooperation with major scientific transportation journals, special issues will be prepared (typically more than 20), supporting publication of excellent papers.
WCTRS support for publications is conditional on the outcome of the reviews and on presentation at the conference. The organisation is managed through EasyChair. Detailed information on society membership, the content of each Topic Area and its Special Interest Groups (SIGs) is provided on the WCTRS website.
Guidelines for submission
Papers should be submitted using the paper template and the EasyChair submission system. All details and instructions are available on the submission page, the full information is available on the website.
- Deadline for submission of full papers: 15 October 2022
- Notification of paper acceptance: February 1st 2023
- Registration of presenting author: March 1st 2023
- Submission of final papers for conference: May 1st 2023
Further Information: Please visit the website.
2. 102nd TRB Annual Meeting
We invite you to join us for the 102nd TRB Annual Meeting, being held.
Expected to attract thousands of transportation professionals from around the world, the meeting program covers all transportation modes, and addresses topics of interest to policy makers, administrators, practitioners, researchers, and representatives of government, industry, and academic institutions.
A number of sessions and workshops focus on the spotlight theme for the 2023 meeting: Rejuvenation Out of Disruption: Envisioning a Transportation System for a Dynamic Future.
Advance Registration Requirement: There will be no onsite registration this year. You must register before you arrive onsite.
The TRB Annual Meeting COVID-19 policy will follow the requirements set forth by the venue and city in which the meeting is located and the National Academy of Sciences. View our COVID Health and Safety page
When: January 8-12, 2023 in Washington, DC
Deadline: Register by December 2, 2022 to take advantage of the early registration discounts.
Further Information: For more information about the TRB Annual Meeting, visit the meeting website.
3. Vacancy at Newcastle University - Professorship in Net Zero Maritime Systems
The position is based in the School of Engineering within the discipline of mechanical engineering and marine technology to address the challenge of decarbonising maritime systems in order to meet net zero targets in light of the climate emergency. It is expected that the post holder will have cross-faculty ambition both in research and research-informed teaching. The role will have the opportunity to support and build upon our suite of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and the University’s growing interest in the skills agenda underpinning increased electrification.
It is intended that the post will have a broad focus bridging technology, policy, regulation and application, addressing the challenges and opportunities that the decarbonisation and net zero agendas pose. These include areas related but not limited to:
- Intelligent and smart systems exploiting data potential
- Safety, cyber security and resilience
- Alternative energy vectors and propulsion systems
- Emerging technologies
- Intermodality and landside infrastructure
We welcome interest from applicants across the broad breadth of maritime systems including shipping and other offshore assets, ports and landside infrastructure, energy and propulsion systems, policy and regulation, and data and intelligence.
Further Information: Please visit this website.
4. Registration is open for UIA Associations Round Table Europe 2022 in Rotterdam
The Union of International Associations (UIA) cordially invites World Conference on Transport Research Society members to participate in its 16th Associations Round Table Europe at the Postillion Convention Center Rotterdam, Netherlands.
The UIA Associations Round Table Europe 2022 is an event designed for participants working in and with international associations, and we hope to see many of you in Rotterdam!
What you can expect:
- presentations on common challenges by peers working in international associations and by experts
- discussions in workshops and break-out rooms with the chance to ask in-depth questions and to share and exchange knowledge and experience
- UIA team members will moderate the sessions throughout, guiding and assisting the delegates
- networking breaks, lunches, dinner
- three exciting tours to discover Rotterdam
You are welcome to register any number of delegates; each of your delegates will need to register separately.
UIA is an independent non-profit research institute founded in 1907 which has documented and promoted the work of international associations for 115 years.
Register: To register go to this website.
When: Thursday 24 & Friday 25 November 2022
Costs: Thanks to the support of Rotterdam Partners and sponsors and partners, the registration fee for Round Table Europe in Rotterdam is EUR 70.00 (plus 21% VAT).
Further Information: Please, see all the topics of the programme and the schedule at this website.
5. SITRASS event on the economics of transport for development in Africa (in French language)
Dans le cadre des activités du réseau SITRASS (Solidarité internationale sur les transports et la recherche en Afrique sub-saharienne), j'ai le plaisir de vous annoncer l'organisation de la 31e promotion de la session de formation "L'Université d'été" du Laboratoire Aménagement Economie Transports (LAET - Lyon).
Thème: L'économie des transports au service du développement en Afrique
When: 26 juin - 21 juillet 2023 in Lyon, France
Further Information: Ces informations sont par ailleurs disponibles sur le site du LAET avec la fiche d’inscription : http://www.laet.science/Universite-d-ete
6. Free WCTRS membership July 2022
We are excited to share the decision of the Steering Committee that membership for WCTRS will be free of charge from July 2022 to mid-July 2023. Normally the period of membership is three years, running between our main conference. However, with Covid and the postponement of the Montreal face to face event to 2023 we will extend existing members' membership for one year. There will be no need to fill out any forms to extend membership, but we will shortly be in touch with final details in case anyone wishes to opt out.
We have announced the opportunity for non-members to join the society free for this coming year in the run up to Montreal. We hope this will be a great opportunity for more people to get involved in the Society and we will value your support in promoting this.
When: July 2022 to mid-July 2023
Further Information: On the WCTRS website
7. Reduced capacity at the WCTRS secretariat
Unfortunately I am no longer able to cover the usual hours of the WCTRS secretariat this year, however I will be working reduced hours for WCTRS until a suitable replacement can be found. In the meantime the secretariat remains open and will cover the key priorities.
Helen Robinson (She/Her)
WCTRS Administration and Governance Officer
Working pattern: Mondays (half day)